Restoration Lead Trough

Recently, the lead trough in Godinton’s courtyard has been restored. The ornamental planter dates from 1920. The initials ‘BW’ on the front refer to the Bruce Ward family who moved to Godinton in 1918. The trough, now nearly a hundred years old, showed signs of decay. Its front was heavily bowed and the lead was cracked at the front and side.

IMG_0760

IMG_0759

 

 

 

 

 

 

An oak frame was placed in the trough to support the lead. A skilled lead worker from John Williams and Company in Hythe came over to fix this frame to the lead and repair the cracks.

IMG_1500

Now, the trough looks beautiful again and is ready to welcome new visitors to the house this season.

IMG_1515