Category: Estate

Replanting Jubilee

December was a busy month across the estate: the Jubilee Plantation was replanted following a combination of storm damage and ash dieback. Replanting is no small task – the team had to plant around 500 new trees in rather damp conditions. Approximately 70% of the trees were oak, with the remaining 30% comprising of aFind out more

Rainy Days

November has been an exceptionally rainy month: rainfall at nearby farms has been somewhere around 180mm for the month, with the average hovering much closer to 120mm for this area according to the Met Office. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in quite a bit of flooding across the Godinton Estate – much of our land isFind out more

Building Conservation Workshop!

Earlier in October, our building and estates team spent the day with Terence Lee, a conservation specialist. Their workshop focused specifically on lime and brickwork, experimenting with different mixes of limes, different techniques, and different tools. Given that the very fabric of buildings across the Godinton Estate is hugely varied, and was built over severalFind out more

The many uses of a willow tree…

The Godinton Estate is home to a huge number and variety of trees, but one of our more special species is Salix Alba Caerulea, more commonly known as the willow tree. However, salix alba caerulea has a very specific use: this is cricket bat willow. These willows are planted in wet ground, near rivers, ditchesFind out more

Protecting the Stour

Godinton works in partnership with the Kentish Stour Trust and their dedicated volunteers in order to help conserve the natural environment – and in this case, especially our waterways and the creatures that inhabit them. In several surveys during recent years, we’ve found evidence of white-clawed crayfish and water voles inhabiting the river, both ofFind out more

Hay Harvest

The sunny spells this month have been provided the perfect opportunity to ‘make hay while the sun shines’. The hay harvested will be stored away at the farm ready for the sheep to eat during the winter months. For a few days between the summer showers our resident farmers Andy & Lucy were a hiveFind out more

Shearing Sheep

You may notice that the sheep who graze the parkland around the estate have recently all had a haircut. After all, no one wants to be wearing a billy woolly jumper in this lovely summer sunshine! They all wait in line patiently to be sheared, after the sheepdogs have helped to round them up. InFind out more

Gurkha Peace Foundation

The lovely weather has been encouraging people to enjoy the great outdoors and explore the circular walk around the Estate. If you completed a lap on Sunday 2nd June you may have noticed that it was busier than usual. This weekend we welcomed the Gurkha Peace Foundation as they completed their annual charity walk/run. TheFind out more

A Big Change

Over the last 22 years major changes have happened to the Godinton Estate, overseen by our Estate Manager Nick Sandford. While there have been many changes in the Sandford family’s time here, the sense of community encouraged by the last owner has remained the same. Now though it is time for another big change atFind out more

New Arrivals

If you came to visit us towards the end of last season you may have seen the sheep grazing on the parkland. We now have more new arrivals, with lambing season here. Soon there will be many more sheep in the fields around the house, but at the moment you will be able to seeFind out more