Twelve acres of tranquil gardens are surrounded by ancient parkland studded with stately oaks and chestnuts.

Four hundred years of changing garden fashions have contributed to a landscape which is now predominantly Reginald Blomfield’s 1898 design.

Terraced lawns bordered by a vast yew hedge and topiaried box have been softened over the last century by the addition of long, curvy-edged herbaceous borders and ornamental tree and shrub plantings. All areas of the garden continue to be restored and maintained to an unusually high standard.