December was a busy month across the estate: the Jubilee Plantation was replanted following a combination of storm damage and ash dieback. Replanting is no small task – the team had to plant around 500 new trees in rather damp conditions.
Approximately 70% of the trees were oak, with the remaining 30% comprising of a mix of alder, hornbeam, field maple and hazel. We’re keen to improve biodiversity in the area, so the species were partly chosen for this, but the oak will one day be used to provide construction grade timbers for repairs to the house and cottages across the estate.
It will take some time for these saplings to turn into anything that resembles the trees in the rest of the plantation, but long-term planning is extremely important, and we look forward to seeing them in their full glory in many years’ time!